Kalvos & Damian is both historical and new. Get the RSS feed for new content info on|
Noizepunk & Das Krooner, interview transcripts, and K&D: In the House! More info.
Chronicle of the NonPop Revolution
261 Groovers Avenue
Black Rock, CT. 06605-3452 USA
voice: 203-367-7917 fax: 203-333-0603
Back to Joseph Celli Home Page
From live satellite performances, to tours with the Kronos String Quartet and John Cage to working with jazz legend, Ornette Coleman - composer/double reed virtuoso JOSEPH CELLI has been called:
Joseph Celli performs on double reed instruments from around the world and the revolutionary Yamaha WX-7 midi breath controller.
- "...the avant-garde's star of the oboe....the premiere oboist, with an aggressive style and incredible multiphonics....the virtuoso squealer has achieved total multiculturality." VILLAGE VOICE.
- "...superb avant-garde oboist..." CHICAGO TRIBUNE
- "A wonderfully bizarre oboe,....all manner of electronic wheezes, clicks and sputters,....it wasn't boring!" LOS ANGELES TIMES
- "...the audience obviously loved the show, (but) it was John Cage who with persistent applause single-handedly forced an encore." VILLAGE VOICE
- "The most striking sound effects however, came not from the strings (Kronos Quartet) but from the guest oboist Joseph Celli....it held the attention." THE NEW YORK TIMES
- "...a virtuoso who does magical and unlikely things with an oboe." L.A. TIMES
- "The beauty of this work is that it's always new, always unique and never sends you home humming a tune....it leaves you full of ideas of your own and a sense that you have been exploring new cerebral turf." COLLEGE MUSIC JOURNAL
- "Celli....approximated vocalization - with melisma on the buzzy Mukha Veena, with virtuosic articulation on oboe, with a falsetto between Betty Boop's and Chipmunk Alvin's on Korean piri, and with surprisingly sweet suppleness on English horn without reeds." VILLAGE VOICE
- "...boldly experimental...." DOWNBEAT MAGAZINE
- "This is one of the best examples (NO WORLD TRIO IMPROVISATIONS CD) of a global resume and changing characteristics via improvisational concepts. Totally essential listening." READING TIMES
- "Celli's technique is astonishing....(he) is able to shape remarkable landscapes combining traditional tones with breathing, vocal cries, overblowing and percussive effects....Celli extends music and the limits of his instrument far beyond conventional ideas." ISTHMUS Madison, Wisconsin
- "...definitely a remarkable performer." HARTFORD TIMES
- "There were gasps and shouts when he (Celli) began producing wide, multi-phonic blocks of sound from a common-and-garden variety oboe...intense, humorous, delicate, raucous, cool, emotional and more..." SYDNEY (Australia) HERALD
- " the restless reeds of Joseph Celli in his solo transported the audience to the diabolical bow of Paganini which hardly could have accomplished with such facility Celli's virtuoso effects." O GLOBO (Brazil)